Bangkok's Or Tor Kor Market in CNN Top 10, PM Pleased
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is pleased that Bangkok’s Or Tor Kor Market, well-known for its premium fresh fruit, vegetables and foods, has been rated by CNN as one of the world’s 10 best fresh markets, Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said on Thursday.
The Or Tor Kor Market, near the famous Chatuchak Weekend Market, was ranked fourth best by CNN behind markets in Spain, Japan and the United States.
Apart from having fruits, vegetables, seafood, fresh and cooked food, desserts and more, which are exclusive to Thailand, people can also find products from different Asian countries, Sansern said.
He said the outstanding qualities of the market were its cleanliness and lighting, which made it convenient for shoppers.
Sansern said the PM wanted the fresh market to maintain its standards and also suggested that other local administrations, which run fresh markets, as well as private markets raise their standards by using Or Tor Kor as a model.
CNN’s ‘10 of the world's best fresh markets’ this year are:
1. La Boqueria Market in Barcelona, Spain
2. Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo, Japan
3. Union Square Farmers’ Market in New York City, USA
4. Or Tor Kor Market in Bangkok, Thailand
5. St. Lawrence Market in Toronto, Canada
6. Borough Market in London, England
7. Kreta Ayer Wet Market in Singapore
8. Lancaster Central Market in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
9. Marche Provencal in Antibes, France
10. Kowloon City Wet Market in Hong Kong
Read the full CNN article: 10 of the world's best fresh markets